Michael Phillips was born in Portland, Oregon, grew up in New York City, and currently resides with his wife, dog, and two cats in Denver, Colorado. A practitioner of web development, he worked for startups, creative studios, and digital agencies. When he isn’t hacking on side projects and open source libraries, he can be found in his new garage building furniture or cycling the open road.
1. What is your favorite thing to eat ?
When I’m celebrating or feeling indulgent, I’ll reach for The Trifecta – Burger, Bourbon and Beer. Can’t lose.
2. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
John Coltrane, Steve Reich and Erik Friedlander are all favorites. I’m really interested in experimental, downtown modern classical and jazz at the moment. Road trips are usually Nina Simone, Dylan, or Tom Waits. But, and I’m not proud of this, Taylor Swift is on a lot at our house.
3. What is one of your favorite quotes?
“Time to get it, before you let it get to you” – Thurston Moore
4. If you could know the answer to any question, besides “What is the meaning of life?”, what would it be?
Is there another “earth” in the universe, with other humans? I think that’s a fascinating question. I also think it has lots of implications with how we see our own existence.
5. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
Johnny Depp, all the time.
6. What is your favorite form of exercise?
I used to regularly practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing. I really enjoyed that, primarily because it was a great way to meet people in the community, come together to encourage one another and to get stronger, physically and mentally. Distance cycling is my real passion, though, but I’m hoping to get back into snowboarding now that I live in Colorado.
7. Favorite GIF?
8. Hardest thing you've ever done?
Moving to New York City. And then moving away from New York City.
9. What is the best part of waking up?
NPR One and the beep from the coffee machine when it’s done brewing.