Justin will be joining the team as Product Marketer. He hails from Vernon, British Columbia. Yes, another Canadian. He has been a loyal Sprintly user for years so we decided we should reward him for spreading the love, and ask him to continue our relationship, exclusively. He is an active member in the product community, when he's not raising 4 kids and snowboarding in BC's mountains.
1. What was the first thing you created on a computer?
When I was 5, we got a Commodore Vic-20, so I wrote lots of little programs in BASIC. I recently found a really good Commodore emulator here; every once in awhile I'll fire it up to re-live the glory days.
2. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
In the past 3 years, I've started to get really into metal. Here's a few of my faves:
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden)
- Let it Burn (Striker)
- Upon Ashen Wings (Unleash the Archers)
3. What is your favorite adult beverage?
I also drink at least one cappuccino every day from my favorite coffee shop: Triumph.
4. Favorite place in all the world?
Two years ago, my wife, the kids and I moved to Vernon, BC. My house is 20 minutes from the ski lift in the winter, 15 minutes to good hiking, 10 minutes to great beaches, and 5 minutes to downtown. I never want to leave.
5. What's a technology that went extinct that you really miss?
I really miss the BBS Bulletin Board Service. There was something really underground and cool about finding the phone number to a local board, connecting to it with a dial-up modem, and interacting with all the people on there.
6. What's something that a lot of people don't know about you?
When I was 21, I started two snowboard shops with a friend. The shop was called "The Real Deal" and I co-owned it with my friend.
7. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
8. What's your favorite quote?
Success comes from persistently improving and inventing, not from persistently promoting what's not working. – Derek Sivers
9. What's your favorite funny quote from your kids?
"Dad let me help you imagine something awesome: it's raining sandwiches AND pancakes." – Marty (my 9 year old)
10. What's your least favorite mode of transportation?
I really hate driving. I'd rather use any other mode: cycling, walking, skateboarding, pogo-sticking…