SSO with SAP not SAML? There's a gem for that.
Recently I was building a Single Sign-On feature for a client who wanted it for customers logging into their existing database (SAP). Basically, instead of giving their customers yet another username and password, Single Sign-On lets you reuse your first log in for another app. More recent versions of SAP use a standard named SAML for SSO, and there's already a Ruby gem for that. But in this case, we needed to us a different standard named SAP logon tickets. After building that integration, in my free time I repackaged it as a gem (a Ruby library) so that others can reuse my code later if they run into the same problem.
You might find this gem useful if:
- You're a Ruby web developer
- And you or one of your clients uses the SAP ERP
- And some of your users will be logging into a SAP NetWeaver Portal that issues SAP logon ticket cookies
- And you want SSO (Single Sign-On) for them so they can link directly from that portal to your web app without logging in to your web app
- And the SAP ERP is an older version that doesn't support SAML
- And it can't easily be upgraded to support SAML for some reason
- And it's not convenient to use the official Java library or Windows DLL for SAP logon tickets
To give it a try, git clone my sso_sap_demo repository.